Never before has anyone been able to see the heart of a glacier, but with a visit to Ice Cave in Iceland, you'll experience a magical journey deep into a world of stunning blue ice and otherwordly beauty. Don't wait to book this day tour to discover the Icelandic destination Lonely Planet recommends as one of the world's hot new places to experience.
Iceland's Ice Cave is a unique, innovative, man-made ice cave and tunnel located in a remote location high up on Langjokull, one of Iceland’s largest and most spectacular glaciers. With its remote location and large-scale development, there's nothing quite like it, stretching 1,640 feet (500 metres) deep into the ice at a location 4,134 feet (1,260 metres) above sea level. Imagine standing on a glacier stretching almost 2,000 feet (600 metres) below as you prepare to walk through its frozen heart! You'll start the day with a drive to scenic West Iceland, a stunning landscape impacted by the powerful activity of Langjokull Glacier. You'll pass by Hraunfoss waterfall, the gigantic Deildutunguhver hot springs, then onwards through the small but enchanting birch woodlands of Husafell, and into the desert highland wilderness - both powerful and remote in their beauty. Once at the edge of Langjokull you'll switch to a specially-designed eight-wheel "monster truck", capable of bringing people up the glacier slopes. En route, you'll experience traveling on a thick solid glacier while learning about its movements and how the melting water has created some of Iceland's rivers and lagoons, much of it a result of global warming's impact. Once at the Ice Cave, only a limited number of people (maximum 80) are allowed at one time. Follow the cave through the illuminated interior of the glacier, viewing ice formations, smaller caverns and beautiful blue glacial walls. Tucked amid the glacial beauty, you'll discover chambers with exhibitions, sitting areas and even a wedding chapel!
Afterwards, head via the Kaldidalur highland track to visit world-famous Thingvellir National Park. Then, after an exciting and scenic day, the tour returns to Reykjavik around 6pm. Return times may vary depending on glacier and road conditions.
Duration: 9-11 hours (2 - 2.5 hours on the glacier)
Departures: Daily at 09:00 NOTE: Hotel pick-up 08:30, please be ready in time for your pick up outside your hotel!
Price per person: £172 for adults, children 6-11 years FREE (one child per adult permitted)
Note: Children 5 years of age and younger are not permitted on this tour.
Please wear/bring: Suitable wind and waterproof winter clothing and boots for use on the glacier.
1) While booking your holiday, you will be given the option to add day excursions and airport transfers as part of the booking process. Please first select the package you wish to book with travel dates and accommodation.
2) If you have already booked a holiday with us, you can retrieve your booking here and follow the instructions for adding day excursions and airport transfers.
3) If you have made a flight only booking with Icelandair, click here to book day excursions and airport transfers. Please be sure to provide the name of your hotel when prompted for pick up purposes.
- Pick-up and drop-off between your Reykjavik hotel and the tour (this tour will not pick up passengers staying at hotels outside of Reykjavik)
- Guided bus day tour
- Guided 2 to 2.5 hour Monster Truck ride on Langjokull Glacier
- Admission to the Langjokull Ice Cave in Iceland
- Meals and refreshments during the tour
NOTE: Hotel pick-up 08:30, please be ready in time for your pick up outside your hotel!
- Please wear/bring suitable wind and waterproof winter clothing and boots for use on the glacier.
- Please note this tour will not pick up passengers staying at hotels outside of Reykjavik
- Choices of roads and availability of activities are condition dependent, including snow layers
- The tour operator has the right to change the itinerary or cancel the tour according to weather or road conditions.
- No refund for unused travel services or land arrangements
- All inquiries on change or cancellation must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full Icelandair Holidays terms and conditions can be found here.